Sewing the Sea Monsters

When working with fabric, I find that creating organic imagery is easiest.
Inspiration taken from here, with 3D gold added to glass.
My sister really admired this piece we found in a local shop in Amherstburg, but the sales associate was unable to offer shipping and my sister felt it would break in her long journey home to Calgary. So, I decided to make a go at my first fabric collage.

Difficulty:
Easy - Hard, depending on how sophisticated and detailed you care to go

Materials:
scraps of cotton
Wonder-Under (not necessary but helpful)
thread
misc buttons
a bit of stuffing from a toy
a large scrap of blue jean fabric for backing

Tools:
scissors
sewing machine
needles

First, I decided on a general layout, how many fish I wanted for example. I knew I wanted a 3D affect with the fish swimming between plant life, so i had to plan accordingly. This was probably the most difficult part of the design process. Then, I ironed on Wonder-Under to applique pieces, and ironed them into place.  I sewed over their edges with a zigzag stitch. Afterwards, I switched the zigzag foot to the embroidery foot and did some free-hand embroidery over the entire piece. It was so awkward at first, but I love this method now!  Check out Leah Day on youtube for amazing tutorials! 

I sewed all the way around the starburst, adding strips of scraps along the underside to create a jellyfish and through a small opening I stuffed the polyester batting for some nice 3D affects. Sorry, I did not take pictures along the way because I made this in a few hours and simply forgot to do so.


Finally, I added buttons for eyes and cowrie shells near the bottom.

Close up of small fish

Completed design. My sister brought home a piece of driftwood to run through the upper loops for hanging.

Comments

Popular Posts