Irish Cooking

This blog centers around crafts, but I might occasionally drift into cooking (OK, Heather?). Today is St. Patrick's Day and I ran across Classic Irish Recipes on my shelf. My mom gave me this cookbook a few years ago. Written by Georgina Campbell, an Irish freelance writer, the collection provides a digestible chunk of history, lore, and -- of course -- cooking ideas. I enjoyed reading the introduction, which explains that, historically, Irish cuisine was affected by two factors: famine, and the fact that lots of stuff was cooked over an open flame in a cast-iron pot. I decided to try the scones (more on that coming, perhaps), and to stay away from the more authentic dishes like dingle pie and cockle chowder. One thing I noticed while skimming is that the Irish seem to love golden raisins, which I personally find very yucky. They also use Guinness and whiskey in many dishes, and that I have no problem with. Here's a neat little rhyme from the book:

Did you ever eat colcannon
When 'twas made of thickened cream, 
And the greens and scallions blended 
like pictures in a dream? 

Did you ever scoop a hole on top
To hold the melting cake
Of clover-flavored butter
Which your mother used to make? 

Did you ever eat and eat, afraid
You'd let the ring go past, 
And like some old married "sprissman"
Would get it at the last? 

Campbell explains that this dish -- colcannon -- is traditionally made with a ring inside and whoever finds it will be married in the upcoming year. Fun! I guess that would be worth eating creamed kale, which is what colcannon is, essentially.


Comments

Popular Posts