Modern Day Abacus

A collection of trackers I made and am selling on Etsy.
We had an abacus in the house while growing up, but I never learned how to use it. Nonetheless, I enjoyed sliding the beads back and forth, a kind of mindless mediation. 

So it was with this motion in mind when I got the idea to make a wire strung with lampwork beads as a method of tracking my water intake. I was striving for 8-10 glasses a day but constantly forgetting which number I was on. I wanted the most simplistic arrangement I could come up with since I have little room for another kitchen gadget.  That meant I couldn't do a horizontal wire - too bulky because I would need something to hold the wire at each end. And a vertical line - well, gravity would deny the slide-a-bead-for-a-glass theory. So, I finally came up with a near spiral, a half circle. 

Skill Level: Easy
Supplies you'll need:

1) copper or artistic wire
2) beads
3)  a base (wood, plastic, shell -anything that can be drilled
4) E6000

Tools:
1) drill
2) drill bit size of wire
3) pliers
Optional:
4) torch if you plan to ball up copper wire
5) rock tumbler filled with shot (to re harden copper after balling up end)

If you have a torch set up, you may make your own beads.
Begin by either making your beads or gathering several large-holed beads. Choose a strong gauge wire, such as 16-18 gauge. Keep the wire gauge in mind when choosing or making your beads; the beads need to slide across the wire easily.

Next, you need a 'stopper' which basically prevents your beads from falling off the end of the wire. This can be created by balling up the copper wire with a torch or gluing a bead in place at the end of the wire. (Artistic wire has a coat of pigment over the copper which will be destroyed by the flame, so only use this method with solid copper wire.)

Using your torch, ball up the copper wire.
Next, wrap the wire around a large-girthed object to create a smooth curve. Both the copper and artistic wire (coloured copper) are quite pliable and will easily accommodate a new shape. After balling up the end of your wire, you must re-harden it by tumbling it for about 12 hours.
Wrap the wire around a cylindrical object to create the curve.
Tumble the copper wire to re-harden it after balling up the end.
String your beads onto the wire, bend a right angle about 1/2" at the open end (the end without the stopper).  Drill a hole in a small piece of wood or marble tile, the size of the wire.  Dab E6000 on the wire's end and insert it into the hole. Allow it to dry for a few hours. 

I must say, I LoV3 my tracker! It's stylish, easy to use and best of all I have never miscounted a days water intake since. :)  You may buy one here.

My personal handmade tracker!

Comments

Popular Posts